Cancer Information - Signs, Symptoms & Support
Cancer is a condition where cells in a specific part of the body grow and reproduce uncontrollably. The cancerous cells can invade and destroy surrounding healthy tissue, including organs.
Cancer sometimes begins in one part of the body before spreading to other areas. This process is known as metastasis.
Spotting signs of cancer
Changes to your body's normal processes or unusual, unexplained symptoms can sometimes be an early sign of cancer.
Symptoms that need to be checked by a doctor include:
- a lump that suddenly appears on your body
- unexplained bleeding
- changes to your bowel habits
But in many cases your symptoms will not be related to cancer and will be caused by other, non-cancerous health conditions.
Read more about the signs and symptoms of cancer.
Reducing your risk of cancer
Making some simple changes to your lifestyle can significantly reduce your risk of developing cancer.
- healthy eating
- taking regular exercise
- not smoking
The Macmillan Cancer Support website has more information about
how a healthy lifestyle can help reduce your chances of developing cancer.
While everyone is being told to stay at home, it can be hard to know what to do if you’re unwell.
It's still important to get help from a GP if you have symptoms that you're worried about.
Find out about using the NHS during coronavirus.
Please find below web links to further Cancer Support Services and Resources:
- Macmillan Cancer Support is charity that provides a broad range of cancer information and support services. They also have an excellent Coronavirus and cancer guide that asks you five quick questions to get the information you need.
Macmillan have also produced a helpful leaflet about the Signs and Symptoms of Cancer which includes key tips and advice to help when talking to your doctor, nurse or GP practice.
- Cancer Research UK is charity that provides a broad range of cancer information and support services. They also provide a dedicated area on their website that provides further help and information about cancer and Coronavirus.
- cancercaremap.org is an online directory that helps people find cancer care and support services in their local area. People with cancer, their friends and family can either search for a service or can browse the types of services available. For further information on Cancer Care Map please watch the video below: